Prep: 1 hour
Marinate: 2 to 4 hours
Cook: 6 minutes
- 12 ounces boneless beef skirt steak or flank steak
- 1/3 cup cooking oil
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 2 fresh jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 Tbsp. sliced green onions (2)
- 2 Tbsp. snipped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 8-inch flour tortillas
- 1 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 medium red or green sweet pepper, cut into thin strips
- 3/4 cup chopped tomato (1 medium)
- Purchased Guacamole (optional)
- Salsa (optional)
- Dairy sour cream (optional)
1. Trim fat from meat. Partially freeze meat for about 30 minutes. Thinly slice across the grain into bite-size strips. Place strips in a plastic bag set in a deep bowl.
2. Meanwhile, for marinade, in a small mixing bowl, combine the 1/3 cup cooking oil, lime juice, jalapeño peppers, green onions, cilantro, salt, and garlic. Pour marinade over beef strips in bag. Close bag tightly; turn to coat beef strips. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 4 hours, turning bag occasionally.
3. Wrap tortillas tightly in foil. Heat in a 350 degrees F oven about 10 minutes or until heated through.
4. Meanwhile, drain beef strips; discard marinade. In a large skillet heat the 1 tablespoon cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and sweet pepper. Cook and stir about 3 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Remove vegetables from skillet.
5. Add beef to the hot skillet. Cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes or until done. Drain well. Return all vegetables to skillet. Stir in tomato. Cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through.
6. To serve, fill warm tortillas with beef-vegetable mixture. If desired, top with guacamole, salsa, and sour cream. Roll up tortillas. Makes 4 servings.
Make-Ahead Directions: Prepare the filling as directed. Cover and chill for up to 24 hours.
- Calories 479, Total Fat (g) 19, Saturated Fat (g) 4, Cholesterol (mg) 40, Sodium (mg) 801, Carbohydrate (g) 54, Fiber (g) 1, Protein (g) 23, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Makes: 12 (1/4 cup) servings
Prep: 20 minutes
Chill: 2 hours
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled, and chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. snipped fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp. snipped fresh oregano
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. red or white wine vinegar
- 4 oz. feta cheese, coarsely crumbled
- Pita chips or tortilla chips
1. In a medium bowl combine tomatoes, avocado, onion, garlic, parsley, oregano, oil, and vinegar. Stir gently to mix. Gently stir in feta cheese. Cover and chill for 2 hours or up to 6 hours. Serve salsa with pita or tortilla chips. Makes 12 (1/4 cup) servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 12 (1/4 cup) servings Calories 63, Total Fat (g) 5, Saturated Fat (g) 2, Monounsaturated Fat (g) 3, Polyunsaturated Fat (g) 0, Cholesterol (mg) 8, Sodium (mg) 106, Carbohydrate (g) 3, Total Sugar (g) 1, Fiber (g) 1, Protein (g) 2, Vitamin C (DV%) 7, Calcium (DV%) 5, Iron (DV%) 1, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet