- 1 Tbsp. olive or coconut oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric - I OMITTED FOR PURPLE CAULIFLOWER SOUP
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp. ground cardamom
- dash of ground black pepper
- sprinkling of crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 large head of cauliflower, roughly chopped to the same size
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium-low. Add all the aromatic ingredients, except for the garlic. Saute, stirring occasionally until the onions become translucent, about 10 minutes. Then, add the garlic and saute another few minutes.
Add the sustenance ingredients and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer and allow to cook for about 15 minutes, until the cauliflower is tender.
Remove from heat and transfer carefully to a blender. Blend on high (allowing steam to vent) for a few minutes, until silky and smooth.
Transfer back to the soup pot and stir in the coconut milk and vinegar. Bring back to heat over low, ensuring it doesn't boil
Serve hot and topped ground black pepper, if you like.