Photo and Recipe from Cooking Light, December 2010
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup)
- 1 3/4 cups uncooked quinoa
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup dried sweet cherries, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry-roasted pistachios, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1. Rinse and drain quinoa. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallots to pan; sauté 2 minutes or until tender. Add 2 cups water, wine, and salt to pan; bring to a boil. Add quinoa; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Remove from heat; set aside, and cool slightly.
2. Combine remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice, and pepper in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Add quinoa, cherries, and remaining ingredients; toss gently to combine.